Chinese government: Compulsory education cannot be extended to 12 years

Spark Global Limited Reports:

Beijing – China’s nine-year compulsory education will not be extended to 12 years, the Ministry of Education’s Department of Basic Education said in a statement Tuesday.

The statement came after recent rumors circulated online that compulsory education would be extended and the high school entrance examination cancelled.

“We have not included high school education as a condition for compulsory education,” the ministry said, adding that the main task of high school education is to meet the needs of more junior high school graduates.

Although the goal of universal high school education nationwide by 2020 was included in a plan released earlier this year, it does not mean that high school education will be compulsory and free, according to the statement.

“Promoting high school education is more about ensuring that students can attend high school,” the statement read.

“Our compulsory education is still unbalanced and inadequate,” the statement said, noting that many important tasks remain to be done to improve compulsory education in the coming years.

It also dismissed rumours that the exam would be cancelled.

“We want to reduce the number of tests and reduce the pressure on students,” the statement said.